Area for discussing ST(E) clones

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: MiST - FPGA ST

Postby Newsdee » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:23 am

@kolla try this: http://newsdee.com/mist/firmware/firmware.upg

This particular firmware will switch each pair of GUI and ALT.
Behind the scenes it uses a mapping config for modifiers, that I'll expose to mist.ini if you confirm it does what you need.

You can see and tinker with the (disabled) mapping code in the source in user_io.c .
Don't know how to handle capslocks yet though.

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:52 am

Had nothing better to do today than to spray paint my MIST black, hehe :D
https://kolla.egnyte.com/fl/ggp0q4Mz3b
-- kolla

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:53 am

Also, the bluetooth controller (JY-MCU, HC-06) works great! Pretty awesome to have two FPGA Amiga systems as wireless terminals :)
-- kolla

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:56 am

Newsdee: oh - I had not noticed your posting until now - I will test right away :)
-- kolla

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:13 am

Yes, it works! Excellent, this is great! :)

However, reset (ctrl-lamiga-ramiga) no longer works (it used to be ctrl-lalt-ralt on the MIST for some weird reason.)
-- kolla

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:50 am

Sweet. Now all that's left is to make the mapping configurable on the INI...
Is there any program to test keys on the Amiga? I suspect the left amiga is not working right, but not familiar enough with Amiga OS to tell.

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:15 pm

You can test by opening two (or more) screens, left-amiga+m is used to swap between screens, left-amiga+n always takes you to Workbench screen. Also, left-amiga+b cancels "OK - Cancel" requesters. Oh, and it is working ;)
-- kolla

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:45 am

Technically I remapped the modifiers to each other without touching the Amiga-specific mapping; so the reset should work.

I wonder if perhaps the keyboard does not send Left Windows and Right Windows at the same time? That can be tested on any USB machine btw, not just the MiST.

Are you using a Keyrah by any chance? I'm kind of interested in getting one of those 1200 cases with it but I wonder if its good enough for use with Windows/Linux as well.

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:55 am

@kolla isn't your screen flickering when you're using the Amiga core with higher resolution?

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:29 pm

@newsdee
I am not using Keyrah no, just regular keyboards - and yes, maybe it is impossible for keyboards to send win+win?
Hm, but ctrl+win+win is used in UAE for example, and on Minimig too (though that is PS/2).
I do have a couple of Keyrahs somewhere that I intend to use at some point, but right now they are stoved away and out of reach.

@farvardin
I am using old tricks - MIST is AGA, so one can use MagicTV2 to reduce flickering - http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/magictv2
I have been thinking it would be nice with a less "game centric" Amiga core for MIST, but rather a core aimed at productivity software, less "bug compatible" chipset emulation, but RTG with P96, RTA with AHI, ethernet etc :)
-- kolla

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:44 pm

kolla wrote:@newsdee
maybe it is impossible for keyboards to send win+win?
Hm, but ctrl+win+win is used in UAE for example, and on Minimig too (though that is PS/2).

I can't think of anything in the firmware as to why you couldn't send both win keys at the same time. In fact the whole point of how modifiers are handled right now is to allow all eight of them to be used at once (whereas other keys are limited to 6 max, per USB HID spec).

I was thinking of making a core that tests joypads and maybe keyboards, but my enthusiasm got a cold shower when I couldn't figure out how to print text in a framebuffer in HDL :-/ maybe Till's tutorials will help...

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:14 pm

I am using old tricks - MIST is AGA, so one can use MagicTV2 to reduce flickering - http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/magictv2

that's interesting. I think I managed to get it work (it was complicated since when I modified the startup from within the AGA core, the computer was freezing / hanging), and I get the impression that now the frequency of the flickering is higher, so in a way it's less annoying but the image is a bit more blurry.

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:24 pm

Strange, I really never had the MIST freeze on me, since the 1.1 core it has been pretty much rock solid and predictable. Knock on wood! :)
-- kolla

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby iceman » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:40 pm

I got my MiST today (thanks Lotharek!) and I have to say it's amazing.

Is it usual for the MiST to lock up during hard drive image reads and writes though? On the STe, I can at least move the mouse while copying files.
Atarian since 1989. Atari 1040STFM, 4MB 520STe with UltraSatan and Unitor N, A dodgy 1 MBSTe that bombs out after a few minutes, and a 14MB 48MHz Falcon 030 with NetUSBee and Soundpool 8 channel DAC. Plus my new MiST!

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:05 pm

iceman wrote:I got my MiST today (thanks Lotharek!) and I have to say it's amazing.

Is it usual for the MiST to lock up during hard drive image reads and writes though? On the STe, I can at least move the mouse while copying files.

No it's not. make sure you have the latest cores and firmware.

https://github.com/mist-devel

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby iceman » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:53 pm

Thanks NML32, I'll update the firmware and use the latest core.
Atarian since 1989. Atari 1040STFM, 4MB 520STe with UltraSatan and Unitor N, A dodgy 1 MBSTe that bombs out after a few minutes, and a 14MB 48MHz Falcon 030 with NetUSBee and Soundpool 8 channel DAC. Plus my new MiST!

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby iceman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:10 am

NML32 wrote:
iceman wrote:I got my MiST today (thanks Lotharek!) and I have to say it's amazing.

No it's not. make sure you have the latest cores and firmware.

https://github.com/mist-devel

I checked to make sure, and it's on the latest firmware an core.

I've partitioned a 1gb drive image into five partitions with HDDriver 9.02.

It only seems to lock up on partitions after the first. The first partition is GEM and the others are BGM. Could that have something to do with it I wonder?

Manic1975
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Manic1975 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:55 am

Is there chance to make TI 99/4a core? It would be nice to have working TI 99/4a core.
I love using MIST and it is nice to have possibilty to see all this Computers in working order.

telengard
Atari User
Atari User

Postby telengard » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:44 pm

Manic1975 wrote:Is there chance to make TI 99/4a core? It would be nice to have working TI 99/4a core.
I love using MIST and it is nice to have possibilty to see all this Computers in working order.

This would be wonderful. TI99/4a is one of my favorite systems.

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:02 am

I see on the Wiki https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... ileTheCore that we need the Altera Quartus II suite. But the web edition has changed to a new product, and it seems the latest version 15.1 of Quartus Prime Lite Edition is not for the Cyclone III:
"The Quartus Prime software version 15.1 supports the following device families: Arria II, Cyclone IV, Cyclone V, MAX II, MAX V, and MAX 10 FPGA"

The latest version with Cyclone III support seems to be v13, from 2013. I hope this version still works on Linux. Do you know if v15 could still work for MiST and its cyclone III ? Since it's a big download, I prefer to directly get the right tool.

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:09 pm

The last version that supports Cyclone III FPGAs is 13.1 (make sure you get the bugfix release that's offered in the download as well). If you want support for Cyclone II chips (Suska and that cheap little board that's just discussed in the blitter thread) you will be stuck with 13.0.

Depending on what Linux distribution/version you're using, there might be some tweaks necessary to make both fully run (modelsim).

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:37 pm

thanks for the confirmation @mfro

It's a pity they no longer support the Cyclone III with the newer releases. I also see it's possible to download individual files, I'll only get the ones I need.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

CPU update

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:58 pm

The Atari St core just got a CPU update. The 68020 bitfield instructions were fixed and the 68020 mode got a barrel shifter.

Run QIndex in 68000 and 68020 mode to see the difference and watch the "CPU shift" row. The differences in real life are much smaller especially for the Atari ST as no genuine Atari with a 68020 ever existed and thus no software was optimized for it.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: CPU update

Postby Paradroyd » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:35 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:The Atari St core just got a CPU update. The 68020 bitfield instructions were fixed and the 68020 mode got a barrel shifter.

Run QIndex in 68000 and 68020 mode to see the difference and watch the "CPU shift" row. The differences in real life are much smaller especially for the Atari ST as no genuine Atari with a 68020 ever existed and thus no software was optimized for it.

Awesome news! Thanks for all of your ongoing work!
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

piku
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby piku » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:16 am

Will this help MagiC boot in 68020 mode? Currently this doesn't work for me.
piku http://www.atari-source.org
Ever growing: Falcon CT60 in a Netfinity case, Coldfire M5484LITE, 2 TT's, MegaSTe.. And a bunch of macs, amigas, and linux boxes ;)

Social Media

Return to “ST(E) Clones (Suska / MiST)”