SD card on Mist - floppy emul, ACSI emul ...

Area for discussing ST(E) clones

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

SD card on Mist - floppy emul, ACSI emul ...

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:09 am

I looked some pages with Mist specs, and found only very little info about SD card usage on Mist:
" SD cards
Standard form factor classic SD cards (<= 2GB) as well as SDHC cards (> 2GB) are supported. The use of a 1GB card of a well-known brand is recommended.
The card has to be FAT formatted. If in doubt use a windows PC or even better a device like a digital camera to format the card. "

Now, as there is no floppy attachable, it works with floppy images, similar as HxC, I guess. Therefore is need for FAT formatted card (actually very shallow info - how many partitions supported, etc ... ?).
But what if we want to use SD card as hard disk ? How Mist knows that it should be threaten as hard disk, with all low level access via DMA/ACSI port commands and not as FAT partition with floppy image files ? What is size limit ? Does it use basic ACSI commands, so limit is 1GB, or use ICD commands, when can go over 1GB ?
Is there maybe some "pre-master boot sector", what describes type of data on SD card ?
Does someone wrote hard disk image file directly to start of SD card, and it worked on Mist ?
Or there is some menu where can set it ?
I'm not against GMO, I'm against that children play with fire.

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Re: SD card on Mist - floppy emul, ACSI emul ...

Postby Jungsi » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:02 am

Here is the discription on how to use a harddisk in MIST:
https://code.google.com/p/mist-board/wi ... assStorage

I'am using a SD-Card with 4GB. I've copied many diskimages (ST format) on the SD card using directorys. I'am using a 64MB harddisk image like mentioned in the MIST wiki. Until today I've not tested a bigger harddsik file.
If all is installed correctly you can "boot" without problems the MIST of the harddsik image. You can also attache the harddsik image using Hatari and copy files directly on it using a windows PC. :)
Atari: 1040 ST/STFM/STE, Mega STE, Falcon, TT - GigaFile, SuperSatan, Ultrasatan, EtherNEC, NetUSBee, Unicorn, CosmosEx
Sinclair: ZX81, 48k, +48k, 128k,+2, +3, QL - DivIDE+, DivIde 2k11, Interface 1, Microdrive, Interface 2, Spectranet, Datel+D, Interface 1bis, ZXpand
http://www.jungsi.de

johncarteronmars
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby johncarteronmars » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:21 pm

I have tried several methods for Hard Disk install and come up with the following:
AHDI 6.06 - I could easlily use smaller HD image like 64mb that I created in windoze
but Ahdi would not even format 256mb or 512mb harddisks for me

I used ICD tools 6.55 and could do just about any type of image of any size that
would fit on my SD Card and all worked well using Jookies instructions for ICD tools

I have been using both 512mb SD cards and 1GB SDHC cards and along with the proper
mist files and floppy images I have installed harddisk images of 16mb 32mb 64mb
128mb 256mb and even one of 512mb on one of my SDHC cards just to test then removed it
I will primarily use the AHDI 64mb on my 512mb SD cards and the ICD 256mb HD on my 1GB SDHC crds

this seems to work very well

system for me will always be TOS 2.06 with Pinhead 2.1 and cache256 and folderxxx at boot.
I could not get HDDRIVER 8.46 (or other) to regognize the cards if I can get it running I would be able to delete
the 3 boot up add ons. I am checking/working mainly on midi,word processing, graphincs, DTP, programming apps
and always in B/W mono, I will post any problems I run across when they pop up for these applications

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:39 am

Thanx. So, basically you copy some hard disk image on SD card , which is FAT formatted. Then may select it (similar like in Hatari) , or there is default name "harddisk.hd" - which is automatically selected after power on. And it will be ACSI port emulated.

But here is another question:
if it is FAT used as filesystem on SD card, then what is supported max size ? Should be 2GB, but it is not according to specs. Or FAT32 is supported ?
Someone tried already bigger card , like 4 or 8 GB ?

I ask this because there are problems with 1GB image and PP driver. Someone already created larger image and made it work with Hddriver or ICD Pro? - talking about images of 1GB or larger. There could be problems with DMA emulation timing, but also with SD card filesystem handle in FPGA code.
I'm not against GMO, I'm against that children play with fire.

DrOG
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby DrOG » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:36 pm

"Standard form factor classic SD cards (<= 2GB) as well as SDHC cards (> 2GB) are supported."
What about SDXC cards? What is the maximal size of supported SD card?
I suppose 32GB SDHC is the biggest.

Social Media

Return to “ST(E) Clones (Suska / MiST)”