VIC-20 Core

Area for discussing ST(E) clones

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

RobertK
Atari freak
Atari freak

VIC-20 Core

Postby RobertK » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:18 pm

A VIC-20 core has been released a few days ago.

Scanlines are supported already, however a USB joystick is currently not supported, you have to use an Atari/Commodore-style jostick.

In the latest version you can switch in the menu between unexpanded VIC, 3K expansion and 16K expansion. There is no reset option in the menu yet, so you have to type SYS 64802 after changing the memory options to reset your VIC.

The core seems to be running very well, most of the games that I tried ran perfectly. However, there currently seems to be no way to load basic files, and I believe that multi-part carts (.A0 and .60) cannot be loaded either.
And there is a faint diagonal line across the bottom part of the picture - don't know what this is, and I haven't tried it yet on another display than my 17" CRT monitor.
Last edited by RobertK on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wsoltys
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: VIC-20 Core

Postby wsoltys » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:21 pm

After changing the memory config you can press the right MiST button to reset the core.
I'll switch the joysticks with the next release to make it work with usb joysticks. Multicartridges aren't support. Pure .a0 cartridges can be uploaded when renamed to .prg and switching program type to rom. At least a few basic games in .prg style seems to work (http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... index.html)
I don't see the horizontal line on my screen.

RobertK
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby RobertK » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:01 am

wsoltys wrote:After changing the memory config you can press the right MiST button to reset the core.

Ah, that's nice! You should mention this in the readme file for the next release. A reset option in the menu would still be nice to have.

wsoltys wrote:I don't see the horizontal line on my screen.

You see it on my photo in the dark area (that dark line that always appears when taking a photo of a CRT screen). It's not horizontal, it goes from the bottom left to to the top right of that area. With scanlines switched off, there is a second line below (parallel to the one above). If noone else reports this problem, then probably only this particular screen is affected. I will try it on various other screens during the next weeks.

Thanks for bringing this great core to the MIST!

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:23 pm

What about automatically reseting the vic whenever its memory config is changed? E.g. li!e the atari st core does when you change the ram size. There's barely a reason not to reboot when you change these settings.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

wsoltys
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby wsoltys » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:06 pm

See today's release :wink:

RobertK
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby RobertK » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:24 pm

wsoltys wrote:See today's release :wink:

And a USB joystick is now supported as well - great!

Another idea: you could put a "Load *.PRG" and a "Load *.CRT" option in the menu that would automatically set the right program type (cartridge files would have to be named *.CRT). So the program type menu item would no longer be required, and loading files would be a little easier.

wsoltys
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby wsoltys » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:32 pm

That needs to be added to the firmware before the core can use it. Afaik till will add support for multiple extension but I doubt that will be two entries in the osd like you described.

eeun
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby eeun » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:31 am

@RobertK: if you'll pardon an off-topic question, what is that computer on the right in your photo?

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:41 am

It looks like an old IBM XT or AT with the "turbo" button (in case it ran too fast :) )

RobertK
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby RobertK » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:35 am

eeun wrote:@RobertK: if you'll pardon an off-topic question, what is that computer on the right in your photo?

It is an ESCOM 486 DX 33 Mhz PC that I got in 1992 (back then my dad hat to pay an enormous amount of money for it). The Sanyo monitor on top does not belong to this PC (I connect it to the 17" screen in the center), this one is connected to my Commodore 128 outside the picture.
I use this PC mainly for data transfer (to the 1571 floppy via LPT cable, or for writing Atari ST images to 720K disks).
ESCOM was one of the largest European PC manufacturers in the early 90s and became famous for buying the declining Commodore brand, but the company eventually went into bankruptcy in 1996.

RobertK
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby RobertK » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Another issue with the current core: it seems that the "2" key is not working.

(I'm using an HP USB keyboard, and the key is working with the other cores.)

wsoltys
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby wsoltys » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:46 am

Yes the bug is confirmed. While most games work fine with the bugfixed T65 core the "2" isn't printed at all. I already tried a newer T65 core which I kindly got from Wolfgang at fpgaarcade but it still shows the same bug. If time allows - work starts next week :/ - I try to debug that further.
In the meanwhile you can either take the old core which prints the "2" fine but won't play some games or the newer update which plays the games but doesn't print the "2" :)

wsoltys
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby wsoltys » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:56 pm

I was able to track down the issue earlier than expected. I'm not sure if its a fix or a workaround but it seems to work fine for the vic.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:05 am

If I disable the scandoubler, the OSD (F12) or joypad no longer seem to work (either USB or DB9).
Aside from that the 15khz mode is recognized fine by the XRGB-Mini (288p).

Few comments on other parts:
  • Would be useful to have a Reset option - right now I need to reload the core to do that.
  • Joystick seems to get stuck in some cases (e.g. Jetpac), not sure why.
  • For some games F1 (or any other key) doesn't seem recognized (e.g. Bongo)

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:09 am

It's the osd that doesn't seem to work at 15khz. I'll look into that.

If you close the invisible osd by pressing f12 again then the joystick will work again.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:25 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:If you close the invisible osd by pressing f12 again then the joystick will work again.

You're right, just tried and it works after pressing F12.
Would be good to get the OSD fixed though, so more cores can use a 15khz mode.

wsoltys
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby wsoltys » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:42 pm

What happens if you press the right MiST button or change a ram config? The core will issue a reset then. When a cartridge was loaded previously it'll also disable the cartridge slot to avoid auto starting the title again.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:45 pm

Newsdee wrote:
MasterOfGizmo wrote:If you close the invisible osd by pressing f12 again then the joystick will work again.

You're right, just tried and it works after pressing F12.
Would be good to get the OSD fixed though, so more cores can use a 15khz mode.

Yes, of course. But currently I am working on the atari dma. And then there's someone with a fancy new core needing some assistence and some new gamepads need some fixes. So the osd fix will have to wait some days ...

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:30 pm

No worries at all. New cores take priority :-)

RobertK
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby RobertK » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:38 pm

@wsoltys: just to let you know that on my second CRT monitor (Compaq S710) the above mentioned two lines are mostly invisible. Only in the lower part of the screen border you can very faintly see the lower line, but you have to know that it's there to notice it, so this is no hassle.

Here I have highlighted the two lines if you still want to check where they come from:

RobertK
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby RobertK » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:40 pm

RobertK wrote:Another idea: you could put a "Load *.PRG" and a "Load *.CRT" option in the menu that would automatically set the right program type (cartridge files would have to be named *.CRT). So the program type menu item would no longer be required, and loading files would be a little easier.

Thanks for implementing this exactly as I described it, it works beautifully in the new core. And the new Reset option in the menu is also very helpful.

Now it would be nice to have proper support for Basic programs. But this is something that would need to be done by the author of the original FPGA port, as wsoltys pointed out in another thread.

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:30 am

Anyone have a nice archive of .crt / .prg files that work with the core? :)

RobertK
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby RobertK » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:51 pm

remowilliams wrote:Anyone have a nice archive of .crt / .prg files that work with the core? :)

Try this site for example:

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/vic20/

Remember that most Basic programs do not work with the current core.

The files in the "roms/" section need to be renamed to *.crt.

Multi-part roms (all 16K carts and some 8K carts consisting of two files) cannot be loaded yet. However, some of these carts have recently been converted to *.prg program files that can be loaded with the MIST core. Like Omega Race, for example.

And if you are interested in the VIC-20, I recommend you the Denial Forum. Check out the "Announcement board" there, some great new VIC games have been made in the past few years.

The IMHO most impressive new games for the *unexpanded* VIC have been made by Akseli Eeben - I especially like Dragonwing.

wsoltys
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby wsoltys » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:00 pm

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Wed May 13, 2015 8:17 am

Any news of this core? :)

Regards,