fpga64 can someone test a demoscene demo?

Area for discussing ST(E) clones

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: fpga64 can someone test a demoscene demo?

Postby xc8 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:34 am

Sorgelig wrote:
ericgus wrote:btw Till said he contacted Peter Wendrich .. who I guess owns the source for fpga64 and hopefully things should become easier for you..

Author of FPGA64 were contacted many times already. He simply ignores e-mails. I don't think it will be changed.

did you try the c-one group?
edit: as I see now, he uses the same email on the group

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:07 am

Sorgelig wrote:
ericgus wrote:but I for the life of me can not find the "plus" "+" key ..

on F10 ;)

try to find the RESTORE :lol:

Sorgelig
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sorgelig » Fri May 27, 2016 3:25 pm

I've checked 1541 code and found that write code is completely absent. So current implementation of 1541 is read-only.

Sorgelig
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sorgelig » Fri May 27, 2016 3:27 pm

xc8 wrote:try to find the RESTORE :lol:

RESTORE in C64 is connected to NMI directly?
I don't see any key connected to NMI in this core.

mambrino
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mambrino » Fri May 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Sorgelig wrote:RESTORE in C64 is connected to NMI directly?

yes, probably this feature is not yet implemented.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Fri May 27, 2016 4:58 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
xc8 wrote:try to find the RESTORE :lol:

RESTORE in C64 is connected to NMI directly?
I don't see any key connected to NMI in this core.

That would explain it .. and yea its a NMI link ..

runstop+restore keypress is typically used for a warm reset ..

mambrino
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mambrino » Fri May 27, 2016 7:37 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Yes, there is a strange behavior of C64 core after reset. It look like firmware doesn't clean the memory at startup and thus stuck at boot after some games. I've no idea why this happens. And it was always this way since first version for MiST.
There is workaround for this: use my Menu core as startup core. While running, it clean the memory. So, if you run C64 core after Menu core, it will get clean memory.

I've use your menu (20160430) as startup core and sometimes still had the same problem, memory seems not be cleared completely after reset.

I've also tried with last core at your github repository (20160526) but this version shows just a black screen at boot (however, selecting C64 core blindly, it works well and always clears memory).

And one question....¿someone find a working version of "Bounty Bob Strikes Back"? in all I've tried (PRG & D64) the game crashes when entering first level.

Thanks ;)

Estrayk
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Estrayk » Fri May 27, 2016 9:59 pm

NTSC works now, thanks Sorgelig!
・Falcon 030+FPU 14mb CosmosEX・Atari MegaSTE 4Mb CosmosEX・Atari STe 4Mb GotekHxC+Satan・Amiga A600 Vampire V2・Amiga A1200 030/50・MIST・

Sorgelig
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sorgelig » Sat May 28, 2016 2:32 am

mambrino wrote:I've also tried with last core at your github repository (20160526) but this version shows just a black screen at boot (however, selecting C64 core blindly, it works well and always clears memory).

Cleaning the memory was introduced in last version of Menu. I didn't change anything in video, so it should work as previous version.

mambrino wrote:And one question....¿someone find a working version of "Bounty Bob Strikes Back"? in all I've tried (PRG & D64) the game crashes when entering first level.
Thanks ;)

FPGA64 027 wasn't positioned as very good emulator. You can see list of many non-working games on its site.
Later versions started to use other VIC code with better compatibility, but source code wasn't released.

javidoom
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby javidoom » Sat May 28, 2016 8:23 am

mambrino wrote:I've also tried with last core at your github repository (20160526) but this version shows just a black screen at boot (however, selecting C64 core blindly, it works well)

Hi.

I'm suffering the same, the Core Selector starts and works, but I get a black screen, and nothing is shown. The previous version was working ok.

Regards.

goran
Atariator
Atariator

Postby goran » Sat May 28, 2016 9:21 am

javidoom wrote:
mambrino wrote:I've also tried with last core at your github repository (20160526) but this version shows just a black screen at boot (however, selecting C64 core blindly, it works well)

Hi.

I'm suffering the same, the Core Selector starts and works, but I get a black screen, and nothing is shown. The previous version was working ok.

Regards.

Same here.

Goran

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:28 am

Sorgelig wrote:
mambrino wrote:And one question....¿someone find a working version of "Bounty Bob Strikes Back"? in all I've tried (PRG & D64) the game crashes when entering first level.
Thanks ;)

FPGA64 027 wasn't positioned as very good emulator. You can see list of many non-working games on its site.
Later versions started to use other VIC code with better compatibility, but source code wasn't released.

That game is not working on c-one even on FPGA v29 (cycle-exact c64 core)
It works ok on the 'chameleon' core (beta9).
edit: BTW IIRC bounty bob even had issues with some *real* C64s.

Sorgelig
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sorgelig » Sat May 28, 2016 11:20 am

Menu core has been updated.

mambrino
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mambrino » Sat May 28, 2016 11:46 am

Sorgelig wrote:Menu core has been updated.

It works perfectly on my monitor. Thanks again ;)

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Sat May 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
mambrino wrote:FPGA64 027 wasn't positioned as very good emulator. You can see list of many non-working games on its site.

Yes I see that now .. its unfortunate .. hopefully we can persuade him to release the code (even if he has to remove any chameleon specific/proprietary stuff)

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Sat May 28, 2016 9:10 pm

Is there a way to hide the core in the Menu list?

Sorgelig
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 29, 2016 2:30 am

NML32 wrote:

Yes. Set the "hidden" attribute.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:50 am

Sorgelig wrote:
NML32 wrote:

Yes. Set the "hidden" attribute.

Perfect, that did the trick. :)

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sun May 29, 2016 9:02 am

Let's try to stay very polite with the people who allow us to use their code. Peter is not required to answer any request from us. He also is not required to share any further code.

Let's try to be thankful for the code he published so far as we really already had lots of fun with it. And then let's kindly ask for more.

And yes, the floppy currently is read only. The floppy takes an interesting approach and it's one of the few implementation on the mist board where the sd card is not driven by a cpu but by some simple state machine. That doesn't make things easier ... I think that particular code is shared with the apple ii floppy on the mist.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Sorgelig
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 29, 2016 11:45 am

MasterOfGizmo wrote:And yes, the floppy currently is read only. The floppy takes an interesting approach and it's one of the few implementation on the mist board where the sd card is not driven by a cpu but by some simple state machine. That doesn't make things easier ... I think that particular code is shared with the apple ii floppy on the mist.

Because 1541 code was ported from other board where SD card is connected directly by SPI bus to FPGA, it has a lot of redundant and unneeded code.
I think, the first step should be "Removing intermediate lba-spi-lba double conversion."
Actually i've started to clean the 1541 code. I plan to drive sd card using MiST API without SPI, as i've done in my BK0011M core.
But no eta or promises ;)

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Sun May 29, 2016 5:49 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
MasterOfGizmo wrote:And yes, the floppy currently is read only. The floppy takes an interesting approach and it's one of the few implementation on the mist board where the sd card is not driven by a cpu but by some simple state machine. That doesn't make things easier ... I think that particular code is shared with the apple ii floppy on the mist.

Because 1541 code was ported from other board where SD card is connected directly by SPI bus to FPGA, it has a lot of redundant and unneeded code.
I think, the first step should be "Removing intermediate lba-spi-lba double conversion."
Actually i've started to clean the 1541 code. I plan to drive sd card using MiST API without SPI, as i've done in my BK0011M core.
But no eta or promises ;)

As always THANK YOU! Sorgelig your work is making the lives of the rest of us MiST users better day by day..

Yes we can only hope the source code owner releases his code but as you say its his to do with as he pleases. I personally haven't contacted anyone as I figured that was best left to you guys who probably had some level of communication with them in the past.

That said I had thought bout the 1541 issue and realized (not being a fpga programmer person) that its probably done in a different way (though I had no idea it was a state machine different sort of way). Are there any tutorials or such floating around on getting started with programming the mist/fpga from a newbie standpoint, I am sorta curious at this point not that I think im at the level to contribute but more from a personal interest perspective.

Sorgelig
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 29, 2016 6:31 pm

ericgus wrote:That said I had thought bout the 1541 issue and realized (not being a fpga programmer person) that its probably done in a different way (though I had no idea it was a state machine different sort of way). Are there any tutorials or such floating around on getting started with programming the mist/fpga from a newbie standpoint, I am sorta curious at this point not that I think im at the level to contribute but more from a personal interest perspective.

If you know C/C++ then it's a good starting point since Verilog is very similar to C. VHDL is very similar to Pascal.
At first download the source code of desired core, install Quartus II v13.1 and then try to compile it to a working version.

And then you can start to do small changes and see how it works.
Internet will answer your specific questions about Verilog/VHDL.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Mon May 30, 2016 12:14 am

Some background in electronics and how to use an oscilloscope helps. I still haven't found a good introduction book, although somebody talking about debugging an AppleII motherboard had good feedback on "electronics for dummies". Might give that a try.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Mon May 30, 2016 12:15 am

Sorgelig, where is this "hidden" attribute? INI file?

Sorgelig
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sorgelig » Mon May 30, 2016 1:15 am

It's standard attribute of file on FAT FS. Right mouse click on file -> Properties -> Attributes -> Hidden.

Social Media

Return to “ST(E) Clones (Suska / MiST)”