Jupiter Ace arrives at MiST

Area for discussing ST(E) clones

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

jotego
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Jupiter Ace arrives at MiST

Postby jotego » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:24 am

Certainly, taking into account coders' motivation is important but I think the motivation is not only fun, there is also a social aspect. When we, coders, see people enjoying our work and giving us appreciation back, it feels great. So recognition is a factor too. Another one is collaboration in the scene. At the beginning is fun to do some small coding alone but working with others, especially with other people who has a name in the scene feels great. Finally, having clear goals help developers too. It is not the same to work towards one satisfaction that to try to meet some community set standard of quality.

So I think that having specifications for the cores, and having them listed publicly will help MiST overall. Of course, from the user perspective it helps too. I think the list from Newsdee is a good starting place. It needs more visibility. Maybe a link from the Github site of MiST? People who are not coders could make the quality team. A section on the wiki page of the Github site could be a good hosting location.

Coders who are not actively writing new cores, can spend some time reviewing cores from a hardware design perspective to identify issues. We need the cores to be as clean and compliant to high quality HDL as possible because otherwise, either they fail to operate reliably or development stops because issues become intractable.

As part of the recognition process to motivate coders follow this quality standard, we could have a prize in Summer and another in Winter for the best cores. We give this event some publicity in social media. This will attract both new developers too and new users. This will also show the importance of the people working on the quality team as they become judges of the work.

Well, I am just throwing ideas out because I want to keep working as a developer and not as quality but I hope some people will take the lead here. We really need people looking at these things. It's like a business, we need a quality department and some managers to organize the team. Maybe we also need marketing... a Twitter/Facebook account. Indeed, there is a lot of potential here. I think this project is still on an early stage.

By the way, maybe we need a separate thread for this. I'm not sure how to copy over the messages...

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:18 pm

jotego wrote:By the way, maybe we need a separate thread for this. I'm not sure how to copy over the messages...

done, let's talk here:
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=31359

wsoltys
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby wsoltys » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 pm

I've started my first steps with the mist and learned how to port stuff. I was so happy that the cores even run and later did my first own addition with the Apple II soundcard (even though it works more or less). That said I'm far from looking at time constraints or gated clocks because its far ahead of my knowledge. Time went by and RL got me with less time for my hobby and I forgot a lot of stuff I've learned. A two hours time slot isn't enough to get into it again and improve the cores even though it would motivate me (if I would be that good).
What I wanna say is that yes it would be nice to get improved and better cores to the mist but you shouldn't discourage beginners. Sometimes a 60% solution is better than a 120% one which never got released.

jotego
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jotego » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:33 pm

wsoltys wrote:What I wanna say is that yes it would be nice to get improved and better cores to the mist but you shouldn't discourage beginners. Sometimes a 60% solution is better than a 120% one which never got released.

Absolutely, everything is open source so people will always be able to come in and experiment. We just need a system to get those cores that are already good to a level of quality on a pair with commercial solutions.

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:07 am

New update on Jupiter ACE Core

https://github.com/Gehstock/Mist_Cores/ ... iter%20ACE

Jupiter ACE(new Video Test).rbf 15kh / ypbpr Testbuild 2

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:29 pm

Test build #3 looks good on my VGA and RGB monitor.
I see in the OSD there is a Tape loader but I'm not sure how to simulate pressing play on the tape recorder. Maybe it's not implemented yet.

looking good. :)

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:02 am

Both SCART and YPbPr out looks good!

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:06 pm

jotego wrote:Absolutely, everything is open source so people will always be able to come in and experiment. We just need a system to get those cores that are already good to a level of quality on a pair with commercial solutions.

Did you see my reply in the new thread, btw?

jotego
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jotego » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Newsdee wrote:Did you see my reply in the new thread, btw?

Yes, sorry I have not replied yet.

sebdel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby sebdel » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:53 am

wsoltys wrote:I've started my first steps with the mist and learned how to port stuff. I was so happy that the cores even run and later did my first own addition with the Apple II soundcard (even though it works more or less). That said I'm far from looking at time constraints or gated clocks because its far ahead of my knowledge. Time went by and RL got me with less time for my hobby and I forgot a lot of stuff I've learned. A two hours time slot isn't enough to get into it again and improve the cores even though it would motivate me (if I would be that good).
What I wanna say is that yes it would be nice to get improved and better cores to the mist but you shouldn't discourage beginners. Sometimes a 60% solution is better than a 120% one which never got released.

That's exactly me. Anything I've done for the MiST was during a period where I was loosing my job and had plenty of free time. I left much unfinished but I feel happy with what I contributed. It's always a step forward and everything is in github.

Social Media

Return to “ST(E) Clones (Suska / MiST)”