MIST 1.3 plus

Area for discussing ST(E) clones

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

jotego
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: MIST 1.3 plus

Postby jotego » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:23 pm

DialTone wrote:I have a v1.3 with MIDI add-on board, and I also use the MIDI ports as an extra serial port with a core I'm working on.

I've built an adapter cable which connects to the DIN connectors and is brought out to header pins on a lead for plugging in an FTDI basic board (such as you would need for connecting directly to the onboard serial too).

Very simple to configure, only 4 wires needed (2 in each DIN connector). Just need to be aware that because the RX on MIDI is opto-isolated, you need to provide power to the opto (which is why there is the 4th wire in the cable - others are GND/RX/TX as expected). Also remember to configure your FTDI board for 3.3v not 5v.

Admittedly, this isn't as flexible as the 4 I/O lines, but if you only need 1 out and 1 in, shouldn't be an issue.

Can you give us some more detail? What is FTDI? At the end you only get 1 out and 1 in, right? I think we can only do a kind of UART through it.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:22 pm

FTDI is a maker of USB<->Serial bridges. So presumably it is a term used for a USB<->Serial adapter board?

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:42 pm

Certainly glad I did not wait for 1.3 then. With the 4 pins I have...
* attached bluetooth and played null-modem games (stuntcar racer) with Minimig (which has db9 rs232 serial, and a bluetooth adapter too)
* attached raspberry pi, which then acts as a NAT gateway (and proxy for http/https, cloud storage exported over nfs and more)
* playing with amiga romwack and other tools that offer debugging of software over serial
* Programmed a heckbunch of arexx scripts (using http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/DigNet) that communicate with equipment over serial link, arduinos and various similar embedded systems.

The most useful thing one could do with the USB ports in my view, is to hand them over to AmigaOS so Poseidon and ANAIIS can use them, then USB-serial, USB-ethernet, USB-MIDI, USB-Audio etc are solved problems.
-- kolla

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:46 pm

Btw - I use 57600 baud, 115200 works for text terminal, but causes too much retransmits for zmodem and TCP/IP over PPP.
-- kolla

kolla
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby kolla » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:53 pm

What could have been done with a new board is simply a jumper (or eh... four) that by default are set to use the MIDI ports, and a switch so one can select between the two.

Original Minimig has a jumper for whether to use the DB9 port as a serial port, or as a port to program the FPGA (iirc).
-- kolla

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:34 am

kolla wrote:Certainly glad I did not wait for 1.3 then. With the 4 pins I have...

I absolutely agree. The on-board serial is one of the features I use most in the Amiga core.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:08 am

Maybe for Mist 1.4 (or 2.0???) an addition of a general purpose I/O header on the board that would let a core developer use some unused FPGA pins for things like legacy ports .. Its nice to be able to do things with your FPGA based system when you are tired of playing games and want to do other non-game retro things..

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:53 am

If I'm not mistaken there are still a few unused FPGA pins. So unless there is a board routing issue, it's a pity that it doesn't have some kind of expansion port.

leech
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby leech » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:54 am

Sorgelig wrote:
leech wrote:I think I was also reading that only specific cores will even allow the 9-pin ports to work with gamepads / joysticks etc, is that accurate? Granted, last I tried the SMS core, I couldn't even get it to display anything, on a monitor that does 15khz as well...

MiST is fully open source. There is no such term "not allowed" in MIST. You are free to modify the code for your needs.

Fair enough, badly worded... there is currently no support for native controllers on the 9 pin port, depending on core.

I just bought an official Sega Genesis 6 button controller, so I am hoping that will work natively... if not I have a usb adapter for it on the way..

diggie
Atarian
Atarian

Postby diggie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:43 am

The biggest thing I look forward to in a new MIST rev would be HDMI out. Nothing has wasted more of my time and "stolen" a sense of fun I had looked forward to in getting a MIST than having to deal with finding compatible displays, expensive converter boxes that work with some cores/options and not others and may have pictures off the screen, etc.

I would literally buy a second MIST and throw this one away if I knew I could just plug it into my HDMI TV and it would all just work with no hassle. That's just how frustrating it is.

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Orion_ » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:52 am

HDMI require licensing fee.
it's not free like VGA.

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Orion_ wrote:HDMI require licensing fee.
it's not free like VGA.

I don't think anyone can claim HDMI license fees if you only use the (royalty free) DisplayPort functional subset (with or without HDMI cables/connectors). This is basically the same thing as long as you don't need content protecton and other fancy stuff.

Nevertheless, this wouldn't help much anyway, IMHO. You can't expect HDMI (or DVI or DisplayPort for that matter) to make sense of each and every strange video signal/format cores might throw at it. Nowadays, basically everything display-related that's not in the VESA specs only works by chance, if at all.

This has to be fixed in the cores themselves, in my opinion.

leech
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby leech » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:07 pm

I was thinking the same thing. All of the cores being mainly for Analog output systems, and you'd really have to have a lot of the Analog to Digital converters in the hardware for it to support HDMI out. And as we well know, things like the Framemeister are really expensive.

I actually have a TV that has VGA still, I haven't tried the MiST out on it yet though, I really should get it all set up so I can.

Social Media

Return to “ST(E) Clones (Suska / MiST)”