MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

Area for discussing ST(E) clones

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

jcw
Atarian
Atarian

Re: MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

Postby jcw » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:16 pm

NML32 wrote:If anyone plans on making extra memory and expansion boards I'd be interested in buying one of each.

Me too...

bernouilli
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby bernouilli » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:51 pm

Me too. Interested in one pcb or full card of each.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:29 am

Linux partition is mounted as read-only if you don't login in console or ssh. So it's very little (if any) chance to corrupt it.
For fat partition it depends how actively core writes before you turn it off. System flushes the write buffers as soon as possible so there is no big chance of write delays.
I suggest to press LShift+LCtrl+LAlt+RAlt (system reset) - in this operation system flushes all writes to disk and then reboot into menu core - then you can safely turn it off. This should be the safest way to reboot or turn off.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:05 am

Sorgelig wrote:I suggest to press LShift+LCtrl+LAlt+RAlt (system reset) - in this operation system flushes all writes to disk and then reboot into menu core - then you can safely turn it off. This should be the safest way to reboot or turn off.

Perfect, I didn't know about that key combo.

NegSol
Atari User
Atari User

Postby NegSol » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:49 pm

I added some impression of my MISTer running on youtube. All cores run with on-board RAM only.
Be aware that the sound is not great (better turn the sound down! - sorry!).

Anyway for those who want to see some pictures:

https://youtu.be/cybvUYCfdq0 (Spectrum core)

https://youtu.be/GEfLI6wDoIM (C64 core)

https://youtu.be/hRc-EjlGBsw (Genesis core)

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:38 am

NegSol wrote:https://youtu.be/hRc-EjlGBsw (Genesis core)

FPGAGen on MiSTer supports 8MB ROMs, so you can use single-file version of Bad Apple.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:55 am

How many buttons can be configured on a USB joypad through the MiSTer?

I'll ask here also. I'm trying to play FixItFelixJr_AirwalkStudios.bin but I can't seem to get past the start screen. I've only tried the game on the MiST and MiSTer with the same results. I'm wondering if I'd have better luck if I tried on a USB Genesis controller.

NegSol
Atari User
Atari User

Postby NegSol » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:22 am

About the buttons - The OSD lets you configure 5 Buttons. For Genesis there are the usual 3 Buttons. Button 4 is the start button and the last one is (as stated in the OSD) the button to call and close the OSD.

@ Sorgelig - great! I got to find me the 8 MB version of Bad Apple and will have another test run :-)

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:48 am

I've improved joystick setting. Now core can provide customized buttons names and amount. Up to 16 buttons are supported now (depends on core).
I will update repositories soon.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:42 am

Thanks NegSol for the Joystick button explanation.
Thanks Sorgelig for providing more joystick customization per core.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:21 am

New firmware and some cores are published.
I've also added customization of keyboard for joystick emulation - use the same "Define joystick buttons".
Added quick toggle joy/kbd button (joystick emulation has to be enabled) for better keyboard experience.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:19 pm

Sorgelig wrote:New firmware and some cores are published.
I've also added customization of keyboard for joystick emulation - use the same "Define joystick buttons".
Added quick toggle joy/kbd button (joystick emulation has to be enabled) for better keyboard experience.

Joystick navigation stopped working for me on Menu.rbf after updating the firmware.

NegSol
Atari User
Atari User

Postby NegSol » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:47 pm

You have to use your keyboard. Go to the next page of the osd. There in the bottom line you will find a configuration item for the joystick. Apparently now the definition of the joystick is core independent (even menu core). Nice feature actually.

The new firmware works for me.

Only thing I notice is, that the Xbox 360 controller I have acts up in the menu core. When I plug it in and define the joystick it will always select the second core in the core list. So basically it will autostart the second core in the list of the menu core. After that it works fine in the other cores. Only the menu core acts up. Strange thing. Guess it has to to with the Xbox controller (I never used it on the original mist, so I do know how that would work). Anyway with a buffalo snes controller all works fine and no "autoselecting" of cores happens in the menu core.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:04 pm

NegSol wrote:You have to use your keyboard. Go to the next page of the osd. There in the bottom line you will find a configuration item for the joystick. Apparently now the definition of the joystick is core independent (even menu core). Nice feature actually.

The new firmware works for me.

Only thing I notice is, that the Xbox 360 controller I have acts up in the menu core. When I plug it in and define the joystick it will always select the second core in the core list. So basically it will autostart the second core in the list of the menu core. After that it works fine in the other cores. Only the menu core acts up. Strange thing. Guess it has to to with the Xbox controller (I never used it on the original mist, so I do know how that would work). Anyway with a buffalo snes controller all works fine and no "autoselecting" of cores happens in the menu core.

That's what I'm saying my joystick no longer works on the Menu but works in all other cores. Before the update, I could use either the Joystick or Keyboard. I wasn't sure if this is by design or a bug I like being able to use either option.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:47 pm

If the Atari 800XL were ever to get ported from the MiST to MiSTer would it require the RAM expansion board?

Gehstock
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gehstock » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:55 pm

Have Mister enough GPIO Pin for a second SDRam (Atari Jaguar Core will need this)?

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:51 am

NML32 wrote:That's what I'm saying my joystick no longer works on the Menu but works in all other cores. Before the update, I could use either the Joystick or Keyboard. I wasn't sure if this is by design or a bug I like being able to use either option.

You've missed the note. Define the joystick in Menu core and it will start to work.

Gehstock wrote:Have Mister enough GPIO Pin for a second SDRam (Atari Jaguar Core will need this)?

Well. In theory it's possible to add a second SDRAM instead of I/O board. But DE10-nano has DDR3 which probably can be used as one of RAM.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:20 am

Sorgelig wrote:
NML32 wrote:That's what I'm saying my joystick no longer works on the Menu but works in all other cores. Before the update, I could use either the Joystick or Keyboard. I wasn't sure if this is by design or a bug I like being able to use either option.

You've missed the note. Define the joystick in Menu core and it will start to work.

I sure did, and I don't know why :shrug: I didn't think to press F12 I kept trying to arrow over to the right for the next screen. Anyhow thanks for the help. :cheers:

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:13 am

NML32 wrote:If the Atari 800XL were ever to get ported from the MiST to MiSTer would it require the RAM expansion board?

most likely yes. It's pretty heavy core itself.
Another bad thing of this core is non-MiST interface to access the SD card. It uses direct SD card access which is prohibited on MiSTer. But it's still possible to use a virtual disk. It will require virtual disk file with FAT system inside and files for Atari.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:17 am

Bummer, that seems like a pretty big rewrite.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:32 am

Please re-download MiSTer binary. There was bug in joystick emulation: it was enabled by default.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:33 am

NML32 wrote:Bummer, that seems like a pretty big rewrite.

If use virtual FAT disk, then port should be quick.

foft
Atari User
Atari User

Postby foft » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:23 pm

Re the 800XL core. I did some work before with a similar platform - the SOCkit board. In that case I used purely block ram for the 800XL itself and I replaced the internal ZPU firmware by a linux version running on the ARM side. It communicated with the core using an avalon slave interface. I never managed to get the FPGA side DDR3 SDRAM going though sadly. It seemed really complicated to set up, or at least very undocumented - then the micro usb broke off and I got bored of that board :shrug:

Anyway, its another option if you are considering porting it.

I'd offer myself but I'm a bit busy sorting things out on the Éclaire board these days...

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:45 am

Help in porting the cores would be very handy. Especially if you already know the core and have experience in porting of it. I think, 800XL need as special support from ARM side like it's done for Minimig.
Currently i'm the only one who is posting the cores and i still have a lot of things to do..

NegSol
Atari User
Atari User

Postby NegSol » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:29 am

So I tested the HDMI Out of the MISTer with some Monitors and capture devices I have. Video works with all of them. However, the audio is not transmitted to all. For me everything points to an auto detecting of the HDMI capabilities settings. Is there an easy way to force the back-end Linux into outputting audio on HDMI all the time. Maybe some config item somewhere. This would be helpful to avoid getting no audio esp. when no I/O board with analog audio out is connected.

Social Media

Return to “ST(E) Clones (Suska / MiST)”