Looking for CAF206 startup info(mint)

Somewhere to chat about MIDI music creation, sequencers and related hardware

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

neanderthal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Looking for CAF206 startup info(mint)

Postby neanderthal » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:01 pm

So,I am trying to figure out why CAF cant find MROS when running older mint(simple setups).
Did some debugging in the startup and noticed that CAF,when it doesnt find the stuff where its supposed to be,
looks for a preset C:\CUBASE.INF
Anyone have any info on that file?,I dont think I have ever seen one.

frank.lukas
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Looking for CAF206 startup info(mint)

Postby frank.lukas » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:33 pm

I thinking Cubase never ever run under MiNT. It is single pur TOS only ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

fidzen
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby fidzen » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:57 pm

I can run CAF with CT63 and Supervidel and Easymint 1.9.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT60e, Supervidel, Svetlana, 512Mb RAM, 8Gb CF.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT63, 256Mb RAM,4Gb CF.
Atari 2600 4-switch Woody

neanderthal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby neanderthal » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:38 pm

fidzen wrote:I can run CAF with CT63 and Supervidel and Easymint 1.9.

Does disk-DMA work as supposed to on that setup?..I can boot it up under some older easymint that I have but DMA to disk doesnt work,it just loops in same buffer by the sound of it.
Otherwise it seems to work under my easymint.

Older kernels with minisetup has something messed up in the path or something?
But really curious about the CUBASE.INF file,dont remember ever seeing that.

neanderthal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby neanderthal » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:11 am

Did some more debuggin,not really a path issue it seems although you get that impression from the 'Mros not found' alarm.
At startup CAF206 looks for the 'Mint' cookie (yes its mint aware) and depending if it finds it does some setup differently.
When it tries to Pexec Mros(after some memory twiddling and file loading) in mint(1.12) it gets $ffffffd9 where as in tos it runs fine return 0.
Might be some err in the space calcs or somesuch for it Mxallocs before grabbing almost all mem in getting Mros to exec at high mem.
Have to check out the faultcode and do some more testing. Toodels for now.

fidzen

Postby fidzen » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:58 pm

Some update from me also.
I have actually never tested CAF that much under MINT and now when I have,
I can say that it doesn't work. :-)
I can start CAF under MINT, but not so much more than that.
Another weird thing is that if I have my synth on and connected via MIDI, I can't start
MINT. It freezes early in the boot. If I boot with the synth off and then start it after
MINT is loaded, it also freezes. Cant use my SCSI disc with MINT either.
So for CAF I will use TOS, but it would be cool to get it woking under MINT, if it's possible.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT60e, Supervidel, Svetlana, 512Mb RAM, 8Gb CF.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT63, 256Mb RAM,4Gb CF.
Atari 2600 4-switch Woody

neanderthal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby neanderthal » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:05 pm

The synth connected sounds like a weird thing,is it setup for sending midi-clock or something?
Thats the only data I know as such that will send all the time from midi devices.Maybe a softloop would also do same trick.
However sounds like a issue for the distro or even kernel depending where it freezes?
It should not freeze just because something is sending data in to the midi-port.

Have tested as far as tricked CAF into reserving less memory than calculated and it starts even in 1.12,same disc issue thou.
Will most likely keep this as a spare-time project,would be nice to do networking without having to reboot.
Have to check with even older kernels if they do the same on disk/sound thing for comparison(I really need minimum 1.12 for mintnet) ,had hoped it would be the dma channel reserving in the never kernels that bummed out but seems not.

Quess have to boot inbetween for so long,for CAF is hooked into pretty much everything in the system so hard to know where it bugs out.

neanderthal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby neanderthal » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:33 am

So,did at last some human readable README:s for it,better post the thing before forget all about it and only use it myself.
First of all..
*****WARNING,BY USING THIS CAF THERE IS A RISK OF WRECKING YOUR
*****HARDDRIVES AND PARTITIONS,BACKUP OF ENTIRE SYSTEM IS ESSENTIAL
*****YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED*****
There,now you cannot have missed that.
Read the README.1ST atleast.

Will put it in this thread so maybe just a couple extra folks will test it out for reference.
Too big of a risk of people going doesn't work all over the place.With no other info.
I kinda consider this as alfa since I only tested this with my setup.

As noted in the readme its Unofficial and Unsupported,did this just so could do networking and CAF without rebooting for myself.
And no it is NOT a crack,you still need the dongle.

Neanderthal.

cafu207a.zip

note:Have not edited any textstrings so it still says 2.06 as usual in the program.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

neanderthal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby neanderthal » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:45 pm

So no one tested it?..Or was I a bit too restrictive on the warning thingy maybe..hehe
Perhaps fix up the strings(if I can find them) and pop it up as is.
Might be that the few folks interested doing Mint and CAF hasn't seen this :)

JoeAtari
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby JoeAtari » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:33 pm

I always run CAF with plain TOS, but I know that there are problems when using MIDI with MINT, at least with 1.18.0 that I use. If I have my keyboard controller turned on when booting MINT, the Falcon will often freeze up. I think it may have to do with some of the networking code in MINT that may have been designed to look for a MIDI network or something like that. I'm not sure, but I always turn off the gear connected to MIDI In when booting MINT to avoid this issue.
JoeAtari
FalconProductions - Chino Valley, Arizona, USA
http://www.falconproductions.us
http://www.facebook.com/AtariSTBook

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:26 pm

I'm unable to test it atm but I've been interested in this combo in the past (mint + Cubase).

I wonder about the technical details, and if there are any patches that can be made to MiNT itself to make it more MROS-friendly.

Could you share the technical stuff?
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:36 pm

MiNT is not an option for me when using CAF 2.06. Cubase was written for TOS, not for MiNT.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:01 pm

dbsys wrote:MiNT is not an option for me when using CAF 2.06. Cubase was written for TOS, not for MiNT.

Thank you for this contribution.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

neanderthal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby neanderthal » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:18 pm

JoeAtari wrote:I always run CAF with plain TOS, but I know that there are problems when using MIDI with MINT, at least with 1.18.0 that I use. If I have my keyboard controller turned on when booting MINT, the Falcon will often freeze up. I think it may have to do with some of the networking code in MINT that may have been designed to look for a MIDI network or something like that. I'm not sure, but I always turn off the gear connected to MIDI In when booting MINT to avoid this issue.

Yes fidzen mentioned this aswell(the midi freeze up),however I only need 1.12 but did it for my 1.15 setup where this issue does not appear.

neanderthal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby neanderthal » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:19 pm

JoeAtari wrote:I always run CAF with plain TOS, but I know that there are problems when using MIDI with MINT, at least with 1.18.0 that I use. If I have my keyboard controller turned on when booting MINT, the Falcon will often freeze up. I think it may have to do with some of the networking code in MINT that may have been designed to look for a MIDI network or something like that. I'm not sure, but I always turn off the gear connected to MIDI In when booting MINT to avoid this issue.

Yes fidzen mentioned this aswell(the midi freeze up),however I only need 1.12 but did it for my 1.15 setup where this issue does not appear.

neanderthal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby neanderthal » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:22 pm

shoggoth wrote:I'm unable to test it atm but I've been interested in this combo in the past (mint + Cubase).

I wonder about the technical details, and if there are any patches that can be made to MiNT itself to make it more MROS-friendly.

Could you share the technical stuff?

Read the read_me:s in the file,I pretty much summed it up there.

neanderthal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby neanderthal » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:32 pm

To sum it up it is the Matrix that is not properly initiated or somesuch,hence use Matrix.prg which fixes that.And there was a odd Fopen which only opened the audio file in read mode that I changed to RW so the final audio file creation became possible.(oddly that works in TOS,really shouldn't).And as for the TOS only thing,CAF probes for MINT cookie and does things differently if found,so it is Mint aware.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:44 pm

TOS doesn't check what mode flags application uses. EmuTOS was changed, maybe few years ago, to relax its own checks for compatibility with some apps which use broken modes (e.g. Wolf3D).

neanderthal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby neanderthal » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:24 pm

Thx Eero on that one,never actually thought about it.Wonder how many old programs bugs out in mint due that oddity?
Talking of which,wonder if should take a look at the boot hangup with midi connected thing some day?
Feels a bit strange to have a Atari machine which cant have midi equipment connected to it,and somewhat restrictive if have to stick with 1.15 due to that.Well,have to remember that when gonna test newer versions some day maybe.

neanderthal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby neanderthal » Sat May 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Some alfa testing update.
Noticed a strange thing when easymint auto mounts ext2 partitions after boot(with CAF running) every 4:th or so audio file gets messed up.A real oddity that one.Wonder what it really does there?
And guess I have to find more 0 mode flags to alter,will se if I'll figure out a good way to do that.

Return to “MIDI Software and Hardware”