The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Robson
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

Postby Robson » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:50 pm

I got my first Atari 520STfm in Kecskemet, Hungary, only because the shop my mum and I went into ran out of the A500 and the manager convinced us that "This can do the same thing". I liked the ST from the beginning, however it was a real pain to (even) buy games/utils for the ST and to find buddies for exchange too. I still have my old mails (almost wrote emails but noooo, that's not the case) from a friend in Budapest about list of games, who's got what, how to upgrade the memory to 1MB and old price lists.
That ST is now history, I went to uni, turned to PC user, started working, etc. In 2004/5 I had a growing feeling that I need an Atari 520 STfm again, so my first ebay purchase was an ST from Bristol. Then a falcon from Germany, then an A500 because I always wanted one, then a C64C because, my best friend used to have that, ...and so on.
Funny story of my STbook: Appeared on a Hungarian retro messaging site for sale. Asking price was 10.000 HUF (cca £24 now). I immediately messaged but I was second in line. I knew no one will let this go so sent a cheeky message saying that if it's really an STbook it's worth more than that, especially for me. The seller was a student and had no idea what he was selling. Same day I got a message from a friend, who I bought my A1200 from, asking if I'm the other guy interested in buying the STBook, because if it's me, he'll stand down. So I got my STbook for 50K HUF (cca £118). I learnt the power of networking.
As life dictated I was in and out in the Atari business. In 2007 I moved to the UK (London) and in 2014 I brought my collection over as well.
I am married, a proud father, and my second son is due in June. I've been always interested in computer graphics, it's all started with Deluxe Paint on the ST and now sitting in front of After Effects and C4D as graphic designer, on daily basis. Treating myself with small hardware projects when I have free time.
And finally an old picture.
DSCN1832sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
------------------------------------------------
http://www.tercsirobi.byethost14.com
------------------------------------------------

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:11 pm

Very nice collection there. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:08 pm

Very nice collection indeed! Happy to meet you! Glad you are here at Atari-Forum :cheers:

Melies
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Melies » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:39 pm

Hello ! :wink:

New here, back to the Atari world, a world I left in the mid 90's, but still fond of my "old" computer. As of today, I have my original 1040 STF bought by my father in 1987 (I was 10 at the time, so I used it mostly for games), and more recently, I also acquired a mint 520 STE (like new !) upgraded with 4mb. I completed my small collection with a Falcon 030 (could not afford it when it appeared on the market), but this one needs some work and mainly a replacement of its hard drive. I also have around 50 original ST games... and lots of old 720k disks. All of this is still at my parent's home so not played so often (but kept well protected).

A few weeks ago, I bought a MIST (thanks Laurent at Amedia Computer) so now I have a "modern" Atari computer at home (I will open a new post to give some feedback on this nice little machine).

And I am from France, so please forgive me for potential english mistakes...
1040 STF (TOS 1.02 FR) - 520 STE (TOS 1.62 FR + 4 Mb) - Falcon 030 (TOS 4.04 FR) - MIST

adamd
Atarian
Atarian

Postby adamd » Mon May 04, 2015 9:28 pm

Hi guys,

I'm Adam, I'm 22 and from the UK. Despite not being old enough to have been around in the 80s, I spent a lot of time when I was younger around an Atari 2600, a ZX Spectrum and a Dragon 32, which is mainly where my interests in computers and games was set off. While I do love the newer stuff, the fact I grew up around the older stuff means I still find it interesting, and I do have a tiny collection along with some books and memorabilia. I've always enjoyed programming and did want to get into the games industry, but currently I work mainly with database development and the games are a hobby.

The ST has always been on my radar and I had messed with emulators over the years, but I didn't ever really know a ton about them. I had come close to buying one a few times but never did. Last week however, a work colleague asked me to do some repair work on his laptop, and somehow in the conversation it came up that his old ST was stashed away in his loft. A short discussion later and a deal was struck whereby I got the ST in return for sorting the laptop.

The machine in question turned out to be a 520STfm, still in the original Discovery Pack packaging. Also came with a few games and old magazine demo discs.

11009379_10153290681169419_609064370652097358_n.jpg

Finally got around to firing it up today, but it seems a bit reluctant to wake up after all these years. I only have the bundled RF lead to test it with currently, but I could only get a very very fuzzy, jumpy image, and any sound just crackles and makes the picture fuzzy. The mouse also only seems to work in one direction. On the plus side, it does seem to be alive. :D Hopefully should get it up and running properly over the next few days.

Quick question, once I get it up and running, where would be a good place to start programming? I know a few languages already and I'm fairly OK at picking up new stuff. Also, are there any major mods/upgrades I should make? I did manage to see a rainbow Atari logo through the broken up image, so I guess it has TOS 1.04.

On a sort of related note, I also have a couple of Atari Portfolios, one of which works and the other has a dead board. The working one I hope to get working with the ST, the dead one I'm currently trying to work out how to shoehorn a Raspberry Pi into... :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Atari Machines
Standard 520STfm
Atari Portfolio x2

FanTC
Atarian
Atarian

Postby FanTC » Thu May 07, 2015 9:43 pm

Hello Adam, I'm also new here.
Nice box!
I'm from Netherlands and found my old STE collecting dust in the attic.
In the 80s - 90s (has it been that long?) I used it a lot for my MIDI gear.
It's been a while so I have to discover everything all over again.
But it's fun. The STE is a fine machine if you're working with MIDI.
I like this forum!

Cheers!
Henry

skromny
Atarian
Atarian

Postby skromny » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:07 am

Hello all,

I am trying to be a collector - I am a fan of "old school things" - so my collection tries to be as a "retrospective" to my younger ages. I started in the 80s with game consoles (pong), 8bits (A2600, XE, C64, ZX,....), PC XTs, later I upgraded to Atari ST... 520ST as my first one, then (after a while) swapped for MegaSTE and... then I move my interest into "professional area (it means PCs)" and all my old computers remained just as a hobby.

I start build my collection few years ago, and now there is "right time" to enjoy sort and work on it - there is a few of of old Atari consoles 2600, 2600jr, 7800) 8bits (400, 600/800xl, 800/130xe), STs (520ST, 1040STE, MegaSTE, TT, Falcon, Stacy), handhelds (yes, Portfolio),... I am trying to make a list, but I am just moving so it is a little bit "not easy". Another my list will be "to-do" list - most of my jewels need some repair and care, so...

Anyway, I am glad to be here...

Richard

spudisgood
Atariator
Atariator

Postby spudisgood » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:49 am

Hi all

I'm Mike, aged 28 living in the UK.

I have been using ST's on/off since 1994, first was a friends system then I got my first 520STFM in 1999.
I have had a few since then and now own a 520 STFM and a 1040 STE with 4 meg expansion [Rainbow TOS]

I have recently bought TOS 2.06 chips and plan to install these into the STE once I get it back up and running (and the moment is not powering up) - I plan to open her up and clean the contacts and reseat the chips.

I can also be found in ##atari on Freenode, would love to join other users here if AtarI-forum have their own IRC channel.

I will upload some images soon.

calimero
Atari God
Atari God

The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

Postby calimero » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:45 pm

Welcome to forum! :)
I have a question:
If you got first ST in 1999 when did you get first Windows PC?

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:59 pm

spudisgood wrote:I can also be found in ##atari on Freenode, would love to join other users here if AtarI-forum have their own IRC channel.

Is IRC still a thing? Haven't used it for years!

Welcome to the Forum :)
FireBee, Falcon -Soundpool case: CT63@95Mhz + 14MB/512MB + 16GB SSD + FPU + Phantom 25/50 + SuperVidel + SoundPool FDI + FA8 + ADAT + Eiffel, TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STbook, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:46 pm

IRC the good old days... of see how fast you can kick ban someone and see how long it takes to get back in :lol: IRC got me into Judas priest as it was on a scripts loader sound.. Well only 3 albums from the 80s ish that is :)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Saying that as a Vic 20, Atari 8bit and Atari 2600 freak too. ;) :)

spudisgood
Atariator
Atariator

Postby spudisgood » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Dal wrote:
spudisgood wrote:I can also be found in ##atari on Freenode, would love to join other users here if AtarI-forum have their own IRC channel.

Is IRC still a thing? Haven't used it for years!

Welcome to the Forum :)

Yes there is quite a good channel ##atari on Freenode, apologies to admin if this breaks rules, as I said I would happily use your own IRC channel if you had one.

spudisgood
Atariator
Atariator

Postby spudisgood » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:39 pm

calimero wrote:Welcome to forum! :)
I have a question:
If you got first ST in 1999 when did you get first Windows PC?

Hi I got my first PC in May 1999 and hated it.
Windows 98, 64 meg RAM, Pentium II - 300 MHz, 6 gig HD... crashed loads, I remember kicking it regularly in frustration which in hindsight probably did not help :D

My first Amiga & St's of my own followed in September '99.

Kind regards.

ruthless
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ruthless » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:24 pm

Was googling my Awesome menu's for a bit of nostalgia and remembered my account here, just popping in to wish everybody well

:cheers:

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:20 pm

Hey Everyone!

Quick and dirty introduction from a new member here! I am Swedish and got my first Atari ST 520 in 1987 or thereabouts, which I used for gaming, graphics and music. I also tried my hand at some coding, but finally realised that I utterly sucked at it and should stay far faaar away from it. Focused on graphics instead, working with my favourite art program; Degas Elite. Was involved a bit in the Swedish Copy-party scene as well. Good times :D ! Also a big fan of retrogaming.

Been meaning to sign up to this forum for ages, but finally got around to it today when I found a thread about a Total Commander plug-in that allows one to open .ST disk files!

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:09 pm

Cogweasel wrote:Hey Everyone!

Quick and dirty introduction from a new member here! I am Swedish and got my first Atari ST 520 in 1987 or thereabouts, which I used for gaming, graphics and music. I also tried my hand at some coding, but finally realised that I utterly sucked at it and should stay far faaar away from it. Focused on graphics instead, working with my favourite art program; Degas Elite. Was involved a bit in the Swedish Copy-party scene as well. Good times :D ! Also a big fan of retrogaming.

Been meaning to sign up to this forum for ages, but finally got around to it today when I found a thread about a Total Commander plug-in that allows one to open .ST disk files!

Welcome to forum! Nice with more people from Sweden here :wink:
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:25 pm

Thanks Zamuel_a! :)

FedePede04
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FedePede04 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi and welcome, nice to see more scandinavian people here :D
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:39 pm

Thank you kindly FedePede04! Plenty of Scandinavians around here :)

CindyB
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby CindyB » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:31 am

My name is Cindy. I am new to this forum but I have been collecting Atari stuff now for several years. I was an electronics tech in the US Navy for 13 years. I love repairing Atari game consoles and old computers that I used as a kid.
1980's Vintage Computers
http://www.80sVC.com

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Hey there - welcome aboard! :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:23 pm

Welcome from another new member :) ...

Moggy2001
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Moggy2001 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi, my name is carl im just upgrading my first stfm i cant wait for the parts to come, i had a atari st when i was young back in the 80's and fell in love with it. then my dad turned to the darkside and sold it for an amiga :) ive been toying with the idea of getting both machines in my man cave i didnt knkow you could do all this new stuff, its gonna cost me a fortune :)

ive ordered a monster board off atarikit

a 44pin cf addapter+ 8gb card

ive not had any confirmation of payment or del. date. Ashley Whiteman said to get intouch with alan h. where will i find him?

thanks to you all the people ive spoke to on the atari st and ste users facebook page a big thank you. no doubt ill speak to you all im looking forward to reading your posted.

cheers carl.

mjvans
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mjvans » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi my name is Marcel. I joined here the last day of 2015. I am 45 and an Atari user since I got an 800XL in the 80's, later followed by the 520STfm and Falcon030.
The 800XL has been very important in my life. It was the first contact with a computer for me. And a friendly one! What a great machine was that, I loved it. I learned basic ofcourse because it was built in and some 6502 assembler (yes assembler editor on a cartridge just genius).
I liked programming as a hobby and my favourite language on the 16/32bit Ataris was GFA Basic because of the ease of use and you can almost read the listings like a book.
I did a lot of Turbo Pascal on a dos pc and used Highspeed Pascal on the ST and Falcon, I found Pure Pascal more buggy on the Falcon. I even bought ACS pro for Pure Pascal but never got into it, Delphi on the pc was available already and much more advanced. I tried 68000 Assembler but it was too far from human language for me and it changed with every CPU ( didnt expect I would still use the same CPU 20 years later). Even C is hard to read in my opinion, never really got in to C. Maybe a wrong choice because now everyone uses it.
I remember it was an innocent and happy time before the internet revolution came. Yes information was expensive, you had to buy books and magazines and software ofcourse. We traded some things at computer club meetings, bought items at computer shows. I bought French Atari magazines (Start Micro and such) on vacation and was subscribed to ST (dutch), STComputer (german), STFormat (uk).
I got loads of Atari books, magazines and original software. I do remember there was a lack of information about programming for the Falcon video and audio and also incompatabilities with the existing programming languages. I had maybe 30 books about the ST and only one Falcon book with some hardware information and that one seems lost now, maybe someone borrowed it.
When at the end of the 90's all support for the Ataris ended I stopped using the Atari's. Since then I used Windows pc's but never loved those machines like the Atari's.
Now I am back I want to try to program a bit on the Falcon again just for the fun. It doesnt have to be serious or difficult. I started with looking at some old GFA projects (last date 1997..!) and now I can maybe find out where I got stuck or try to make something new.
Further I like games and want to play with midi music.
Its good to see the Atari scene is still alive and there are even young people playing with what they call retro computers.

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”