If you had one Atari wish for updated Atari device, what would it be?

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: If you had one Atari wish for updated Atari device, what would it be?

Postby EvilFranky » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Brand new Falcon030 motherboard in either ITX or M-ATX form factor.

Socket for original 68030 processor
Socket for 68882 co-processor
Socket for YM sound chip
VIDEL, COMBEL & DSP in FPGA
CPU/BUS/68882/DSP speeds selectable from 16 -> 32/50MHZ
HDMI Output
LAN interface

The machines are expensive, far and few between, only getting older and probably unreliable.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:36 pm

leech wrote:My top todo list as far as my Atari's go is to get my Falcon working in 800x600@256 colors so I can play around with Calamus SL 2015...

That would be easy with software only solution. Just look for Videl Inside.
I think there are hardware devices for this but cannot remember the name ( screen blaster??) which may be faster than software only.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

leech
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby leech » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:14 pm

wongck wrote:
leech wrote:My top todo list as far as my Atari's go is to get my Falcon working in 800x600@256 colors so I can play around with Calamus SL 2015...

That would be easy with software only solution. Just look for Videl Inside.
I think there are hardware devices for this but cannot remember the name ( screen blaster??) which may be faster than software only.

Been trying with BlowUP, and I get it to 800x600, save the config, but then it crashes on start up. Was trying to find Videl Inside, and have tried Videlity, which I couldn't quite figure out how to get that working either.

Got side tracked because my NVRAM is almost keeping time, but all the programs say it's corrupted, so I think I probably just have a bum DS12885A that I got from Arne. I'm hoping this; http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... 7&e=538917 will fix that.

1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1st1 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:00 pm

EvilFranky wrote:Brand new Falcon030 motherboard in either ITX or M-ATX form factor.

Socket for YM sound chip
HDMI Output
LAN interface

The machines are expensive, far and few between, only getting older and probably unreliable.

For today your design is too old fashioned.

I like another idea which has been posted here, but enhanced:

MiNT with Linux kernel native on x86-64 with drivers for all modern hardware (provided by that Linux kernal), it must include a seamless integrated M68K processor emulator, or maybe even better, a compiler/translator which uses 68K code as "sourcecode" and compiles it to x86. But, yeah... that's no more our beloved old hardware.
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 2x Falcon 030 32GB/14MB+ScrnBlstrIII * 2x TT030 73GB/20MB+Nova * 520/1040STFM * 520/1040STE * 260/520ST/+ * some Mega ST * 2x Mega STE 500MB/4MB+M.CoCo * Stacy * STBook * SLM605 * SLM804 * SLM605 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby EvilFranky » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:15 pm

It's old fashioned as it's meant to replace an old machine to be an exact copy of the original with a few added extras that won't break compatibility.

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:08 pm

1st1, it's almost what Beekey is offering, but not in the same order ;-) Linux + aranym + mint and booting from a USB key, with all modern bells and whistles.
Try the link in my signature to download it.
Now if we could have a native x86 mint ...
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:44 am

leech wrote:Been trying with BlowUP, and I get it to 800x600, save the config, but then it crashes on start up. Was trying to find Videl Inside, and have tried Videlity, which I couldn't quite figure out how to get that working either.

I do not know Videlity nor BlowUP as I did not use that.
VI (Videl Inside) was just copy a bunch of software into Auto, reboot. Then select "Options > Set Video" and select the rez you want. Boom! you have it.

As for dead NVram not keeping time, my Falcon had my DIY AAA battery mod.. sure some ppl says it will not work etc etc and the threads can be found on this Forum, but it still working for me...
but please I do NOT ask you to follow it. :megaphone: you have better solution ordered.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

Vtm213
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Vtm213 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:58 am

I'd have to say I'd want to see an updated Atari portfolio

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby iceman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:06 am

1st1 wrote:
EvilFranky wrote:Brand new Falcon030 motherboard in either ITX or M-ATX form factor.

Socket for YM sound chip
HDMI Output
LAN interface

For today your design is too old fashioned.

I like another idea which has been posted here, but enhanced:

MiNT with Linux kernel native on x86-64 with drivers for all modern hardware (provided by that Linux kernal), it must include a seamless integrated M68K processor emulator, or maybe even better, a compiler/translator which uses 68K code as "sourcecode" and compiles it to x86. But, yeah... that's no more our beloved old hardware.

Sounds like AROS.
Atarian since 1989. Atari 1040STFM, 4MB 520STe with UltraSatan and Unitor N, A dodgy 1 MBSTe that bombs out after a few minutes, and a 14MB 48MHz Falcon 030 with NetUSBee and Soundpool 8 channel DAC. Plus my new MiST!

leech
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby leech » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:25 pm

wongck wrote:
leech wrote:Been trying with BlowUP, and I get it to 800x600, save the config, but then it crashes on start up. Was trying to find Videl Inside, and have tried Videlity, which I couldn't quite figure out how to get that working either.

I do not know Videlity nor BlowUP as I did not use that.
VI (Videl Inside) was just copy a bunch of software into Auto, reboot. Then select "Options > Set Video" and select the rez you want. Boom! you have it.

As for dead NVram not keeping time, my Falcon had my DIY AAA battery mod.. sure some ppl says it will not work etc etc and the threads can be found on this Forum, but it still working for me...
but please I do NOT ask you to follow it. :megaphone: you have better solution ordered.

Ha, mine sort of works. Does yours pop up errors with any of the tools? Particularly the one on the Falcon Language disk tells me it's not a TT or Falcon.

I need to find Videl Inside, been trying for a while.

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:42 pm

VI 2 can be find here : viewtopic.php?t=27814
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:44 am

leech wrote:Ha, mine sort of works. Does yours pop up errors with any of the tools? Particularly the one on the Falcon Language disk tells me it's not a TT or Falcon.

Currently mine has the battery out and in storage, as I am using the Firebee nowadays.
But from memory, it ran like normal. I cannot recall what tools was there on the Language disk, I seldom have that disk out.
I do recall using uwe's application. There was also an CPX for NVRAM. The NVRAM tools in french (I think from Centek) and German all of them worked with out any complains.

I am sure the Updated NVRAM Atari device you ordered will work with any of these.

leech
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby leech » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:53 pm

http://www.atari-wiki.com/index.php/Fil ... TC_Kit.jpg is the one I have in mine now, and I am wondering if I somehow messed it up or my falcon, since all the tools say that it is corrupted or not functioning correctly. It would save time, but drift a lot, but wouldn't save any other settings. Was considering just ordering a new chip, it was sitting on my desk for sometime, so I could have ruined it somehow. I like that really flat one I posted though, looks like it'd fit where the socket is now in.

Oh, it was Videlity that I could never find. I did get Videl Inside 2.03 working, though I need to tweak it so it doesn't show up as purple on my NEC 1970NX.

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”