Atari STF

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

TeX38
Retro freak
Retro freak

Atari STF

Postby TeX38 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:33 am

Hi all,

I began my Atari trip during the 80's with a big break until about a year ago when I discovered emulators.
I was lucky?? enough to get hold of an old Atari 520 STF that is working in Hi res but I do not have a monitor so can't use Low/Med res.

I purchased the correct modulator for it but it still refuses to display.

Seeing as it was an STF I assumed I would only need to remove a few components to allow the modulator to solder into its place and have done that but sadly still no picture.

Have I missed something, is there anything else I need to do/Remove, jumpers required??

There is a resistor looking thing soldered across the 13pin socket area on the back of the board, is this something that will prevent it working and should I remove it or move it??

I hope someone can help with this as I'm looking forward to getting my ST up and going.

Thanks.

TerryM

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Atari STF

Postby exxos » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:51 am

Why not just use a RGB to scart lead ? I use one for my 15" LCD TV and works perfectly well.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

TeX38
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby TeX38 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:47 pm

Thank you for your reply, Sadly I don't have a TV with scart.

grobda
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby grobda » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:10 pm

some monitors will accept a 15khz (low/med res) RGB signal via the 15-pin VGA connector (I have an acer that does) - it will display low/med or high res depending on how the cable is wired.
1040STF+Gotek///4160STFM+Gotek+MonSTer///4160STE+CosmosEX

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:26 pm

TeX38 wrote:Hi all,

I began my Atari trip during the 80's with a big break until about a year ago when I discovered emulators.
I was lucky?? enough to get hold of an old Atari 520 STF that is working in Hi res but I do not have a monitor so can't use Low/Med res.

I purchased the correct modulator for it but it still refuses to display.

Seeing as it was an STF I assumed I would only need to remove a few components to allow the modulator to solder into its place and have done that but sadly still no picture.

Have I missed something, is there anything else I need to do/Remove, jumpers required??

There is a resistor looking thing soldered across the 13pin socket area on the back of the board, is this something that will prevent it working and should I remove it or move it??

I hope someone can help with this as I'm looking forward to getting my ST up and going.

Thanks.

TerryM

some photos might help.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:34 pm

There was a similar thread recently in which someone had bought what appeared to be an STFM, but actually had an STF PCB into which a modulator had been retrofitted. To cut a long story short, it didn't work because in a non-'M' machine there are more components missing than just the modulator.

The components you removed to fit the modulator were probably those which are fitted, on a non-'M' ST only, to generate the composite sync signal for the monitor output socket. To use the machine with RGB output (which is always the better option anyway) you will need to remove the modulator and reinstate those removed components, otherwise you have no composite sync signal on the monitor output socket.

Unfortunately just fitting the modulator is not enough to make the machine into an STFM, because the components for the colour clock oscillator were also never fitted in a non-'M' machine. See this thread, in particular post #10 of that that thread, for more details:-

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29225&p=289609#p289609

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”